9/30/08

What stories does your jewelry tell?

I realized tonight as I was placing some of my favorite pieces of jewelry on this beautiful marble tray that my boss gave me for my birthday that there are some great memories behind some of these pieces. I have a jewelry box full of memories...these are just a few. And as you can see, my preference is silver.

The large pink crystal earrings were purchased in Innsbruck Austria on my honeymoon 23 years ago. And while the marriage didn't last, the memories of that amazing trip will last me a lifetime. I can still remember the little jewelry store I bought them in.

The fused glass pendant was a Christmas gift from my son last year. He was so proud to give that beautiful gift to me because he won it at a raffle from the holiday fair at the church at the end of my road. I told him its my lucky necklace & I wear it anytime I feel I need a little luck.

Below those are 3 rings made by native Americans that are from my favorite store, The Silver Buffalo. The amethyst ring and the green quartz rings were gifts to myself for Christmas ( 2 separate years) and the other is just a ring I liked & purchased for no particular reason. But the amethyst has a special meaning because when my daughter (who was 17 at the time) heard me come home raving about the gorgeous ring I passed on buying she had her dad take her there & she put it on layaway to give to me for valentines day. I decided to go back for the ring & when it wasn't there was told I could special order another one to be made for me. When I told my daughter it had sold but that I ordered one...she was forced to tell me that she had purchased it (on layaway) Since her job was just as a cashier at a grocery store I refused to let her spend all her earnings for weeks on end for a gift for me.... but that fact that she was willing to do that for me will always make this ring one of my most prized possessions.

The small citrine earrings below that & the citrine pendant at the bottom of the photo were also given to me by my boss for my birthday.

Below the citrine earrings are a pair of dangly blue & green earrings that I bought in Seattle. It was the last day of our trip & the last family vacation that Jake, Amanda & I took together...so that memory is both a sweet & bittersweet memory all in one.

That gorgeous Caribbean quartz necklace was a birthday gift from my sister. You can't tell in this picture but it is the most beautiful tropical shades of blue & green (depending on how the light is hitting it)

The brown tiger eye hoops at the bottom right were just a random purchase because I didn't have any brown earrings....so not much of a memory there I guess...but I do like them.

I'm thinking maybe I should do a scrapbook page about the memories lurking in my jewelry box. I'll bet you have some great memories lurking in yours too don't you?

No comments: