9/6/08

Summer's last hurrah...

I took a few photos this morning of some of the last color I'll probably be seeing in my gardens this year. In a month or so the first frost will get these beauties and then it will be a long winter before I see them emerge again. Except for the annuals that is....
The name of this gorgeous plant escapes me right now....but unless I dig them up I won't see them again next year. They are much too tropical for New England and they really took a long time before they even started growing this summer. But they sure added a nice splash of color to my shade garden.
These annuals on my deck wont be back next year either....till I buy new ones in the spring anyway. Soon these pots on the deck stairs will be replaced with pumpkins & gourds. And then lots of snow !!! Oh joy !!!

Love the vibrant colors that coleus such as the one below add to the shade garden. Gorgeous!

I can't for the life of me remember the name of this annual either...even though I buy it every year. It blooms non-stop all summer. What's not to love about that?
The hosta below was given to me by my dear friend Liz & is one of my favorites. Its called Olive Baily Langdon and is one that actually likes the sun. The dragonfly on the leaf it the top of the picture seems to like basking in the sun too.

The daylily love continues.... My sister gave me this gorgeous late summer bloomer when I moved here & it is thriving in my circular sun garden.


The flower below was given to me and I really have no idea what it is. But I do like it a lot. I suspect if may be in the "Veronica" family. Liz.....my master gardener friend....next time you read my blog maybe you can enlighten me.


I thought the Lobelia below was a perrenial but I'm told I'll be lucky if it returns next year. It is a beautiful bright addition in the shade garden though so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And thats it for tonight...enjoy your weekend.

No comments: