8/14/08

Thyrza # 3

Or "Tizzie" as she was nicknamed as a child or "Babe" as my grandpa always called her. That was my Grandma. Born in 1902...she's been gone for more than 15 years now but oh the memories I have of visits to her house in Ct as a child. The special leg of lamb dinner she'd make for us with mint jelly on the table to go with it. Boy could that woman cook !! Lucky me I have her recipe box to remember her by...what a treasure! Her pie crust & her bread pudding are the best I've ever had and I'm so glad to have the recicpes for them. She had a hard life, but later in life (in her 50's I believe) she met my Grandpa (he's wasn't my grandpa by blood but was the only Grandpa I knew on my Mom's side) What a character that man was...and he brought her such happiness. Grandpa is a story for another time though.

So back to the name......I made this page after going through old photos my Mom had given me. I wanted to make sure I spelled her name right. I thought it was Thyrza with a "y". But penciled on the back of one of the photos I found it..."Thirza". After I finished this page I proudly showed it to my Mom...and she pointed out that I had spelled her name wrong. It turns out that was a picture of my great grandma Thirza I had found the name on. The first was my great, great grandma who was named Thyrza, then my great grandma Thirza with an "i"...then my grandma...this wonderful, wonderful woman who was also Thyrza with a "y" like her grandmother. Three women with (almost) the same name. When I was pregant with my daughter I told my Mom I was thinking of naming her Thyrza to carry on the name & my Mom said "oh please don't do the to your child". Too too funny! I'm thinking my daughter is probably glad her name is Amanda! (right Mand?)

This picture of my grandma is from the roaring 20's. Funny how styles come full circle sometimes. I had almost this same exact harcut in the 80's.

The patterned paper is from Crate Paper which is glued onto Tim Holtz grungeboard pieces and attached to the page overlapping each other with pop dots for dimension. The stitching around the edge of the page is actually stamped with Technique Tuesday stamps. The inked chipboard letters are Basic Grey (I still need to change that "i" to a "y" to make the spelling correct)


the black chipboard flowers are from Cosmo Cricket...

And these flowers layered under the chipboard flower are from Prima.

Thats it for tonight...my cozy bed is calling out to me.

1 comment:

tsegal said...

As a "Thyrza", I am actually very happy that it is a rare name- Even though I have to spell it ALL the time and tell people it is a 19th century British version of the Hebrew name Thirza, I love that there are so few of us. It makes it very easy to find me on the internet(IF you can spell it). I love the scrapbook page you did and would love to see it again if you ever change the I to a Y
Your grandmother was a gorgeous lady with very good taste in clothing !