8/24/09

A summer stroll (warning...long photo filled post)

Today was a fun day for Jake & I ...and I have no photos to remember it by : ( I'm on vacation for the next week & a half so Jake & I are trying to do some fun things near home this week. Today we went to a water park for the day (which is why I didn't bring my camera), then to Cartland so Jake could take a few spins on the go-carts, then out to dinner so Jake could have scallops. We were near the ocean at the base of Cape Cod so we had to get the scallop lover a seafood dinner before heading home.

I do have some photos to share though if you'd like to take a walk with me. I did this last fall & thought maybe you'd like to join me for a summer stroll as well. Its hot & muggy though (especially after a morning rainstorm) so wear your deodorant ok?

Off we go....no easing into this walk...the first hill starts right there at the end of my driveway (try to keep up ok?lol) Tanner is raring to go per usual. Maybe he'll pull me up the hill....

And the church I love to photograph a little further up the road...
The town hall (in the distance) and library (in the foreground)...both beautiful old buildings don't you think?

Taking a right turn we head uphill again. There is really no avoiding hills in a mountainside town. But I have become used to them & can actually climb them without resting now or without gasping for air.
I walk by this bush every day on this walk and admire these pretty berries. They are turning a really pretty color as summer comes to a close. I have no idea what this plant is but I really like it a lot.
And here is an ingenious roof design on this barn. With all the snow we get here I'd bet this roof has saved a few farmers from getting hit with sliding snow...
I think I have shown this old graveyard before....
But now that Princeton is celebrating its 250th anniversary this year they have put this historical marker here as well telling the history of this area of town. The pound mentioned on this sign is still there in the woods beyond the graveyard. It is a small square stone wall with an old wooden gate. My understanding is that when farmers didn't pay their taxes etc their livestock was impounded there.
And just beyond the graveyard & pound this home is on the market again. It belongs to my dog walker's parents and they have been trying to sell it off & on for a long time. I have always wanted to see it....want to come take a peek with me (no worries about trespassing...no one lives here to catch us)
A long curving driveway that hints at the view beyond the house....
The house is not the most beautiful one I've ever seen...so what does this home have to offer you say? Let me show you.....
The view !!!
So beautiful isn't it?
And a lovely gazebo to sit and enjoy it from...
Continuing on our walk...another example of ingenuity. How do you build a stone wall going down hill? I think this one is very cool...
And here we have another home for sale....this has been empty for as long as I have lived here (3 years). It needs a lot of work but I think it could be a beautiful home if someone restored it.

This cute barn scene....
...is right behind this even cuter front porch. I love how inviting this house looks. Wouldn't you love to sit in those chairs or on that porch swing at the far end & sip an ice cold lemonade?
an interesting self portrait along the way...
And here...the best part....time to stop for a breakfast of melted brie cheese, blueberries & walnuts on a bialy at the new market downt the road from my house. It was so yummy that I ate it all up before even thinking to photograph it.
Love this sign hanging outside...
They even have parking & water for dogs too....
And a country store wouldn't be complete without a community bulliten board...
This house is called "The Snuggery" and is more than 200 years old. Love the mansard roof.

And in their yard they have a really fun use for an old wheelbarrow..
Here we arrive back at the town common where the town hall, library & churh are found. The sky is beautiful isn't it?
Love this old wrought iron fence .....
And here comes Patty & Cooper....we got to know each other as our paths crossed walking our dogs. She is one of the nicest people I have met in town...my son adores her too. In fact he stopped at her house to say hello as we walked tonight & he didn't come home till 30 minutes after me. She is so super nice!!!
And Tanner thinks Cooper is pretty cool too...
A couple more photos of the church before heading on home. I like how these 2 pictures came out.
Thanks for coming along in the heat & humidity with me. Hope you enjoyed the scenery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the stroll with you...and the hills and humidity were a piece of cake. :) It's fun to see the places that are so familiar to you...you have a great eye for detail. And while the view at the house for sale is beautiful, you'd miss your trees. I don't blame you...I'd have scarfed up that brie as soon as it was set before me, too. I can imagine it though, even without the photo. Loved walking with you!