8/3/09

Another first....

I guess this a year of firsts for me....

I planted my fisrt veggie garden a couple of months ago and the 2 yards of compost I added to soil is working wonders. The tomatoe plants are as tall as me and the cucumbers are growing insanely fast. This is my first red heirloom tomatoe (not a great photo...it was really a beautiful orange/red) and it was so incredibly delicious on our tacos last night. Yum !!! This variety is called Break o' day and will definitely be one I look for to plant again next year. Soooooo good.

Thats my first jalapeno pepper in there too.

Tanner wasn't quite sure what to make of the cucumbers though....
Am I supposed to chew on the stem?
Or is it a funny shaped new ball for me to play with?
No worries...I washed them well before they turned into this...(thats red pepper in there...not tomatoes)
Which then was put into these (along with the vinegar/sugar/spice mixture)
And became my first batch of refrigerator bread & butter pickles. I even snipped the jalapeno up & added it into the ingredients. Off they went into the frig & I had some with dinner tonight...they were delicious !!! If anyone would like the recipe I'd be happy to share. They were so simple to make.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Yummy Donna!! I would LOVE the recipe if you are happy to share it! :-)) Im not too good a gardener though, although I do try!

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats fresh from the garden taste and it's even better when it's the reward for all your hard work. Looks yummy! Brenda