6/22/09

Pray for Tanner

I'm not a religious person but I do pray in my own way. These past few days its been for this sweet boy. Anyone out there who wants to send some good wishes or prayers his way would be really appreciated.
They say "when it rains it pours" and with my luck that's the way things always seem to happen. I have been very stressed lately as Jake's Dad suddenly decided he didn't need to make his support payments. So now being short $900 and facing summer camp payments for Jake at $225 a week the stress & worry about how to pay the bills is pretty intense. Then Saturday night my sweet pup runs out the door for less than a minute & comes back with something yellow all over him & horrible fumes coming from him. When he started to act like he was going to get sick I called the urgent care 24hr vet clinic, who referred me to call animal poison control. After talking with them they told me I should bring him to the clinic to be tested for anti freeze which is deadly to animals within a couple of days after ingestion.

We drive 40m minutes to get there only to be told he had been sprayed by skunk(who knew skunk spray was yellow?) It didn't smell like skunk to me...but now that they mentioned that it did begin to (and my car really smells like it now !!!) So we see the Dr since we are already there & after talking with her I decided to have the test done for the deadly ingredient in anti freeze just to be safe even though we were pretty sure the skunk may be the only issue. After we drove 40 minutes to get home at 1am the vet calls me to say the test was positive...with a lethal dose of ethylene glycol. I lost it...and poor Jake sitting next to me in the car did too when he saw my reaction.

We turned the car around & made the 40 minute ride back to begin him on immediate treatment .... 3-5 days of intensive iv fluid treatment & medications to try to stop the deadly effects of the anti freeze that causes kidneys to shut down in 24-48 hours. The cost estimate for what needed to be done was a staggering $1500-$5000. You can imagine how scary that was to me since I'm already wondering how to pay for summer camp. But not as scary as the thought of losing my beloved dog who has become such a huge part of my life.

We got home at 3am and I barely slept waiting for morning to come so I could call to get the results of his kidney values....thankfully they were in the normal range...but then the wait for the next test 24 hours later began so see if the EG had begun to do damage & raise his kidney values. Today his kidney values are again in the normal range in both tests (early am & tonight)..again a good sign. They are hopeful that he hasn't suffered any kidney damage which would be so great. But after the treatment the past 48 hours he still is showing some level of the EG in his bloodstream...but not at the lethal levels of 2 days ago. He needed to stay one more night on the iv fluids and is scheduled to come home tomorrow. I need to have his blood tested again at the end of the week & I won't rest easy till his blood work comes back clear of the EG.

The odd thing is that if he hadn't got sprayed by the skunk & I hadn't thought the smell of that was chemical then I probably never would have known he had gotten into anti freeze and he'd be dead or dying by now. Things happen for odd reasons don't they? Fate is a funny thing. That skunk was a real blessing. No more running free for my dog...my neighbors yard is too dangerous with the stuff we saw over there for a young dog to get into trouble with. He'll have to get his running done on hikes from now on.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery with no kidney damage. Keep us in your prayers please ok?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh lord...can't imagine what you're going thru right now! But I know how we both feel about our pets...you ever find that skunk, you owe him! Leave him treats (but away from your house!!!!).

And what's up with Jakes dad? lose his job or something?

Kristi said...

I will send you warm fuzzies girl! I'm glad that his tests are coming back well and hope they continue! He's a cutie fo sho!

And yes, things do happen for a reason...and I believe that you're never given more than you can handle. So be strong!