7/21/09

A first for me....

This past Sunday my sisters & I did a triathlon together...a first for me as I have never done a race of any kind before. My sister Deb (in the center) has done more then 20 marathons & many triathlons as well...she is in incredible shape...a huge inspiration to Kim & I) We were 1 of 15 all women relay teams to enter the race that day. The whole race had about 500 participants so I was very very nervous. Here we are bright & early at 7am all registered & numbered with permanent marker (that I'm still trying to get off) And there is my bike behind me all cleaned up & ready to go.

My Mom came down for the weekend to watch & cheer us on. Debs husband Ken came along as well & helped us get all these great photos.
So how did we do? Well, as biking is pretty new to me I seriously thought we would come in dead last. But we didn't really care because we were doing it more for the fun of racing as a team than anything. But lucky for me I have fast sisters....we came in 5th place out of the 15 teams in our division. And of all the relay teams (40-something total I think) consisting of all women, all men & mixed...we came in 14th place. How exciting is that !!!!

Deb did the 1/2 mile swim portion first...here she is in the center of the crowd with her hand on her forehead waiting to start.
And here she is after finishing 2nd fastest of the 15 swimmers in our all women team division. I love this picture of the big smile as she runs to where I am waiting so she can give me her ankle band & send me on my way.
and here I am trying to fight down the nerves as I wait to start.
And here... at the end of my 10 mile ride... getting off my bike after crossing the bike finish line & running it down to where Kim is waiting for me to tag off with her so she can do the final leg of the race ...a 3 mile run that is partially through a trail in the woods. I finished 10th fastest out of the 15 bikers in our division which was much better then I had expected to do.
And here is Kim (#82) coming across the finish line...check out that leg muscle in action. She, like Deb, also finished 2nd fastest of the 15 runners in our division.
And she ws so hot after finishing she went right to the water & went for a swim to cool off. This picture cracks me up.
And here we all are again after the race. This was such a fun day we are thinking of doing another one in August.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huge congratulations, girl! I'm so proud of you...and your sisters, too but I know this was quite an undertaking for you since you haven't competed before. What a confidence-builder to have challenged yourself and found you more than measured up to the competition. ((hugs)) for your success. Brenda

Sonya said...

Good on you!! Way to go. Your a marvel, I think that would be the end of me, Im so unfit!!