3/14/09

Scary news

I spoke to my daughter today & she gave me the bad news that she (on the right) and her close friend (left) are deploying to Iraq on May 8th : (

It was originally thought that being stationed on the West Coast near Seattle that they would go on deployment to Japan...but sadly that's not going to be the case. They do have a relatively safe job working sonar equipment in a large plane that flies too high to be shot down with the weapons that Iraq has on hand...but regardless this Mom will not rest easy till she is back safe on American soil. And I'm sure Megan's parents feel the same way.

Someone said to me recently when I told of her rigorous training "and she chose to do this willingly?" I know it was an innocent comment and no harm was meant but I felt like responding "If she (and others) did not willingly commit themselves to serving our country in the military while the rest of us go on living our everyday lives of luxury then we wouldn't be the free country we are now." but I bit my tongue because as I said the comment was not meant in a bad way at all. But I do think we all sometimes forget...even if just momentarily...that there are so many out there putting their lives on the line for us & our country.

Come home safe Mand !!! Love you so much & I'm so very proud of you!! (p.s. - you're stuck with me !)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is scary news! Your concern is totally justified...no matter how old, well-trained, and seemingly removed from danger she may be, she's still your little girl. I'll be keeping her (and you) in my prayers and hoping her time there is short. Please let her know there are many of us who are grateful for her service. Brenda

Sonya said...

What a gem your daughter must be, you are so right to be proud of her, and of yourself Donna as Im sure you have passed your lovely 'values' onto her.Wishing her a safe journey and speedy return home!
Thankyou also for your kind thoughts and lovely comments on my blog, so very thoughtful of you.