12/4/08

A guessing game...

Bet you can't guess what happened just seconds after this photo was taken...

But first let me explain what this is a photo of.... See that woman in the navy shorts & white tank...that's my sister...she is the coolest !!! See the boy running to her left...that's my son. He's pretty cool too. This is the Boston marathon...and I can't even tell you how many times my sister has run it (and other marathons) I think she's up to almost 20 now. But this one was special. You probably can't read her shirt but it says Team Parkinson on it...and it also says for Dad & Ken. You see my dad died a few years back ...and he had Parkinsons. Such an awful disease to witness. But Ken is my sisters husband who was diagnosed with Parkinsons about a year ago...so sadly he & my sister will have to witness this nightmare called Parkinsons all over again. And Deb ran for team parkinson...and raised over $5000 for the cause. So this race was special to us all. My Mom, my other sister, a family friend, Jake & I went to watch her as she approached the finish line. She stopped & gave us all hugs & kisses & you never would have known she had run more than 25 miles...she looked great. Anyway...I told Jake when she ran past us he could run alongside her as far as that blue sign you see a little ways down...and then go in behind that line of people along the road & come back to us. So off they went...

So what happened after this photo was taken??? Well....I took the picture & then stepped to the left so I could look down behind that row of people on the curb & see Jake come back to me (didn't want to lose track of him in such a large crowd) I stood there watching for him....and almost got hit by a train coming up behind me. You see there is a railroad track just a few feet behind that crowd that runs parallel to the road. My poor Mom...I don't think she has ever moved so fast as she did at that moment trying to get to me...that poor 76 year old was jumping over lawn chairs. She shocked us all with her agility in the face of danger. And me....well between my Mom screaming my name & the very loud train horn honking at me just a couple of feet behind me...I just about jumped out of my skin...and I'm lucky I didn't jump further into the path of the train. Pretty scary. But even more scary than that was...I still hadn't located my son...and I was so afraid with the train heading down toward that sign that he was going to run in behind the crowd & right in front of the train....luckily he ran back in front of the crowd rather than behind..phew.

I need to scrap this photo someday soon I think...

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Oh my goodness!! What a day you had!! I dare say the train driver got a nasty fright as well!!
I was so sad to read about your sister having to go through that horrid parkinsons all over again with her hubby, life is sooo unfair somtimes. Your sister must be an amazing lady and I hope for a miracle for her hubby.
Thank you for the lovely message you left on my blog.
Well done to your beautiful daughter. And to the boys for playing playstation outside!!LOL- hope my lad doesnt catch onto that!