12/25/08

The un-beautiful side of an ice storm

As promised.....more photos of the ice storm & the damage left behind. When I woke up the morning after the storm I never would have imagined I'd be without power for 10 long days. I'll start with a few photos taken around town & then the ones from my yard...

Lots of trees in the road..
And telephone poles destroyed..

The wires that weren't taken down by fallen trees or poles we very heavy with ice & hanging low

Am I seriously going to drive under this???

This was what my neighbors driveway looked like the morning after. They were out of town...can you imagine returning home to this?
And my other neighbor who has the lovely gardens & blueberry grove has a view of Boston that she didn't have before all those tree tops broke off...

This is the view looking down my road (that's my mailbox in the bottom right corner) You might never know there was a road there except for the street sign off in the distance...

And this is the view looking up my road from my driveway...

And remember this pretty sunrise over my back yard from a few weeks ago? You can't see it in this picture but there is a pretty circular clearing back there that I called "the grove" and I had planned on planting high bush blueberries back there next spring....


Well there is no pretty clearing back there anymore...this is what it looked like the morning after the storm. Makes me cry every time I look at this photo & the next one....

The view of my property from across the street. All those beautiful trees that I enjoyed the breeze from while on my back deck are either broken off at the top of down completely..
In this picture you can see the top of my maple tree sitting against the corner of my house (and on top of my lilac bush & electrical wires)
Looking out my front door toward my rock garden...

A side view of the rock garden covered in debris and my favoritre shag bark hickory split in 2 & broken off halfway down. This was one of my favorite trees & I'm sad it can't be saved...

my side yard.....lots of free firewood in my future here....

The view of the trees from my deck...they used to all be as tall as that one on the right side of the photo...

My pretty birdhouse was even knocked down off its pole but amazingly was not damaged...
The 2 trees that fell on my deck....thank goodness for homeowners insurance....

And this is how you know who your good friends are. My dear friend Liz & her husband Mike drove an hour to my house in a storm on day 9 without power to help me get that tree top off of my electrical wires. The electric company had told me to leave it there for them to remove & when I called them to tell them the pole the wires were attached to was leaning more toward my house by the day & was afraid it would fall soon. They told me they couldn't fix the pole or turn my power back on till I removed the debris from the wires myself. How frustrating since they had told me a week earlier they would do that. But thank goodness for friends who are there for you when you need them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm finally found time to catch up on your blog. The photos of the damage from the ice are amazing...so similar in many ways to what we experience after a hurricane. It's both beautiful and sad. I'm so glad your home didn't sustain and major damage and that you are safe and sound. Isn't getting power back the most wonderful thing! Brenda

Sonya said...

Now Donna, I know that must have been so so scarey- but what beautiful photos!! So glad you and your home are okay. And on the bright side,at least you wont need to worry about prunning this year!
Hope summer rolls around soon for you!xx