12/21/08

Ice Storm 2008


Wow...its been so long since I've been online or done anything other than read by lantern light for so long.



My town suffered a bad ice storm that left it looking like a war zone and left me without power for 10 incredibly long hard days. I am so tired, emotionally drained and so relived to finally have power back. My son & I did the happy dance all over the kitchen when it turned back on...and again when we turned on the kitchen light for the first time in days. The first 5 or 6 days we managed just fine but on day six I had a meltdown...and proceeded to have a meltdown daily with the biggest one so far being at my family party earlier today. How embarrassing to totally fall apart in front of everyone like an emotional basket case. You can't even imagine how totally draining it is to be in survival mode for so long. And to think that this is the way people used to live years ago.....what a hard life they lived back then. 10 days was enough to last me a lifetime.

So now begins the long process of cleaning up my property of all the trees that came down. I need to buy a good chainsaw & get to work. If only it would stop snowing. Its been snowing pretty much non stop for 3 days with almost 2 feet of snow on the ground....ugh !! I think it has finally stopped now.

I have lots of pictures to share of the damage but right now I'm really exhausted and anticipating my first good nights sleep in a long time. I'd bet I'll sleep like a log tonight. I'll leave you a few more pictures of the beauty of the ice storm and will follow up with the depressing damage photos on another post. Hope you all are well...I've missed my blogging friends.
I'd take fall back in a heartbeat right now...love the crackled ice on these pumpkins
My neighbors swing covered in a thick layer of ice
Amazingly this what grass looks like with an inch of ice coating it.
Sunrise on the morning after the scariest night of my life. Looks peaceful but the sleepless night before this sunrise was anything but peaceful
The gazebo on the town common at sunrise with the moon still in the sky
Love the look of icicles on the evergreens...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wowee. Your photos are stunning. But sounds awfully draining and scary to have been through what you have. Well done you. You did it!